Firefighters are on the scene this hour of a house fire on Balsom Street in Clarenville.
The fire started in the garage and quickly enveloped the building, prompting emergency crews to shut down the street.
Onlookers were asked to keep a respectable distance while crews worked to extinguish the blaze.
Darrell Duke, who lives in the home adjacent to the one in which the fire began was warned that should the propane tanks he recently filled catch, his home too could go up in flames.
However, firefighters managed to contain the fire to the garage and, fortunately, the prevailing winds were blowing in the opposite direction of Duke’s home.
“About half an hour ago I heard a bang,” Duke said.
There was an explosion and then a big pile of smoke. - Darrell Duke, next door neighbor.
“There was an explosion and then a big pile of smoke.”
Duke said he was sitting down to dinner just after noon when he heard the bang.
He quickly exited his home with his wife and two young children and said his concern now rests with the homeowners and any pets that may have been in the building.
He also said prior to the fire, his next door neighbor had been working on a car in his garage.
At this point it has no been confirmed whether there were any injuries in the fire.
Fire crews from the Clarenville Fire Department are still on the scene.