Top News

Crown calls no evidence in assault case against Corner Brook man

Richard MacRae
Richard MacRae - Diane Crocker

The second of three men charged in connection with the alleged assault of a man in Lark Harbour in November 2017 has had the charge against him dismissed.

Richard Todd MacRae, 47, of Corner Brook had been scheduled to go on trial for assault causing bodily harm in provincial court in Corner Brook on Wednesday morning.

Related stories:

Three Bay of Islands men charged with assaulting another man in Lark Harbour

Court throws out charge against man in Lark Harbour assault case

However, when the matter was called Crown attorney Trina Simms said she had the opportunity to review the information that had been made available to the Crown and spoke with some people involved and it was the Crown’s determination that there is no longer a likelihood of conviction in the matter.

With that said, Judge Wayne Gorman told Richard MacRae that with the Crown not calling any evidence that the charge against him was dismissed.

Richard MacRae is the second of three men charged with the assault to have the charge against him dropped.

Colin Joseph MacRae, 40, of York Harbour was to go on trial in April, but the Crown also elected to call no evidence and the charge was dismissed.

It’s anticipated that the charge against the third man, 37-year-old Jamie Robin Lidstone of Lark Harbour will be dismissed when his matter is called for trial on Friday.

Recent Stories