One man was taken to hospital and his five cats were rescued following a house fire on Queen’s Road in St. John’s early Sunday morning.
The fire was reported just after 6 a.m. and when St. John’s Regional firefighters arrived on scene, they could see flames through a second-floor apartment window. They made a quick entry to the building and knocked down the fire which appeared to originate with a burning pot on a stove.
One man was treated on scene for smoke inhalation and later taken to hospital. At least one of the five cats had to be given oxygen before it was taken from the scene.
The kitchen suffered significant damage and the rest of the apartment suffered smoke damage.
The injuries to the victim were not considered serious.