The UFC returns to Vancouver on Saturday for the first time since 2019 with the legendary Amanda Nunes headlining UFC 289 at Rogers Arena with the GOAT in the main event.
Widely considered the greatest women’s fighter of all time, Nunes defends her bantamweight title against Irene Aldana. After reclaiming the belt last summer and avenging a submission loss to Juliana Pena with a unanimous decision win over Germaine de Randamie in November 2019, Nunes will be looking to make his first bantamweight title defense. However, Beena’s shocking upset remains fresh in the fans’ minds. , Nunes’ dominance and past victories over legends like Ronda Rousey and Chris “Cyborg” Justino speak volumes.
With an impressive MMA record of 22-5 and 17 decisions, Nunes always showcases her formidable skills. Saturday should be no different against visiting Altana. Nunes, at -325, is the favorite over Aldana, who is at +255 BetMGM.
Saturday’s UFC 289 will include the highly anticipated bout between Charles Oliveira and Peneil Dariush. The lightweight showdown is undoubtedly the most interesting and potentially exciting fight of the evening.
Oliveira, a former UFC lightweight champion, is aiming to bounce back from losing his title to Islam Makache last October. With exceptional grappling and elite striking, Oliveira’s presence in the Octagon guarantees an electrifying clash.
Equally adept at grappling, Dariush has honed his striking skills to make him a legitimate title contender. Saturday’s co-main event will see the clash between these great lightweights ignite Rogers Arena to decide who deserves the next title shot.
Oliveira’s fights rarely reach the judges’ scorecards. With a record of 33 wins, 30 have been decisive finishes over the distance. Of these victories, 21 were sealed by submission, nine by KO, and only three by decision. However, his losses featured a combination of knockout defeats, submission setbacks and only one decision loss.
Dariush also has a penchant for finishing fights, though not as often as Oliveira. His professional record of 22-4-1 includes 13 finishes, including eight submissions and five KOs. He has been knocked out three times and submitted once.
UFC 289 Live Tracker
UFC 289 Main Card, Odds (Live Now on ESPN+ PPV)
All odds via BetMGM.
• Women’s Bantamweight Championship: Amanda Nunes (-325) vs. Irene Aldana (+255)
• Lightweight: Charles Oliveira def. Beneil Dariush by TKO (punches) at 4:10 of R1
• Welterweight: Mike Malott (-210) vs. Adam Fugit (+170)
• Lightweight: Don Ike def. Nate Landwehr via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
• Middleweight: Marc-Andre Perrault def. Eric Anders via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
UFC 289 preliminary results, highlights
• Middleweight: Nasordin Imavov vs. Chris Curtis ends in a no contest (accidental interference)
• Women’s flyweight: Jasmine Jasudavicius def. Miranda Maverick via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
• Bantamweight: Ayman Zahabi def. Best KO by KO at 1:04 of R1:
• Featherweight: Kyle Nelson def. Blake Bilder via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 39-28)
UFC 289 preliminary results
• Flyweight: Steve Erzek def. David Dvorak via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
• Women’s strawweight: Diana Belpita def. Maria Oliveira by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)